Actually, this is a mix of FAQs plus some tips. If there’s anything we’ve not covered that you want to know get in touch with us. We love to chat.
Why the name JemBOS? It’s a combination (or portmanteau if we’re being fancy) of Djembe (“JemB”)and Operating System (“OS”). We see JemBOS as the first part of a music OS that contains all sorts of other things we can’t possible talk about at the moment.
Why do I have to buy cards? Well, we’ve got to feed the monkeys somehow! For the cost of all the legal music that’s on mobile devices we think JemBOS is great value for saving and sharing your song-related memories and pictures. As the core app is free you only really have to pay once you’re sure you like JemBOS.
Do you store my data and how do I know its safe? No we don’t store anything you put on the cards. It’s all saved on your device. If you lose your cards we can’t recover them for you.
What if I accidentally delete my cards? We can’t recover anything you put on the cards. You can restore the maximum number of cards you had though so that you don’t need to buy additional ones.
How many cards can be linked to a song? As many as you like provided you have enough cards. It depends on how much the song means to you and what it triggers. It also depends on how long the song it. We’ve been listening to Stairway to Heaven for testing and can tell you there’s room for a lot of cards with that song!
How can I share cards? You need to have email enabled on your device or enable Facebook or Twitter. Once you’ve done this as soon as you swipe a card upwards you will see a share button.
A Few Tips
1. A picture is often worth a thousand words. We’ve all heard it but it’s still true. Try to visualise what you want to say and create picture cards. There’s space at the bottom for a caption but we’ve found when we push ourselves there’s always a picture, or many in fact, that we can link to our favourite songs.
2. Words are important too. Sometimes we just want to write thoughts, ideas and other stuff linked to a song. That’s what the text cards are for. Brevity is important as the text has to fit the card without any scrolling. Why? When you share cards we want people to see everything you have to say in one go.
3. Be you. What do your favourite, or most listened to songs mean to you and why? This is about expressing yourself through how you visualise and put words to the music that’s important in your life. To quote Charlie Parker, “ Music is your own experience, your thoughts, your wisdom.”
4. Get creative. The best pictures and words to use with songs are your own in most cases. That said, there is a lot of cool stuff out on the web. Sometimes it makes sense to use images created by others. We’ll try to feature work of artists that we’re impressed by. To get started though why not visit DeviantArt and search for your favourite artists. If you haven’t been before you’re in for a pleasant surprise.
5. Spread the love! We believe sharing is the really fun part of JemBOS. There are so many situations; to cheer someone up, something romantic for a partner, something spontaneous for a friend, birthdays and other special occasions. The possibilities are endless.